This has been a long delayed thing for me to do. I should’ve watched this when I was younger. Back then, I was never fond of watching series, moreso, following them. But now that I’m older and after my meeting with FRIENDS, I started exploring this aspect of my youth that I missed.
I can relate to Ally. I don’t hallucinate but I have thoughts that were and are still similar to hers. I easily fall and I fall very hard – in love. I’m a romantic. I’ve my weak points inside my strong facade.
Since I have been watching the whole Ally McBeal series for the past couple of weeks now, I thought it best to write my thoughts about this current interest. There are still so many things I can write on and on about it but here’s what I have for the moment. I’ll be more than glad to hear out what you think.
01. I just wished I was able to watch this series when it was all new and fresh. Probably I could’ve learned a thing or two in dealing with the love aspect of my life. These series about love and relationships? I think this is my way to catharsis, which I am really thankful for nowadays.
02. One thing that got me drawn to this series was that I see a lot of myself in Ally – how she can get too involved in a relationship and how hurt she can be. I can relate to a lot of her life’s experiences making me believe that probably I’ll end up like Ally when I become a lawyer.
03. I love how the characters are depicted – crazy, dysfunctional for some, but they have the most brilliant minds I’ve seen on TV. Which makes me wonder whether crazy goes with brilliance. Does it? Or it’s just me?
04. The episode where Billy died made me cry buckets. The last moment of his life was seen in the court room where he professed his “forever” love for Ally until that fateful minute. Billy was Ally’s childhood love – the first guy whose butt she first sniffed (and vice-versa) and I guess there are just these types of relationships that don’t end up being together forever. It’s a sad reality that probably most of us have seen. But this is a gentle reminder that we should always tell the people that we care for how much we love them. It may not be to an ex-lover/partner, but to someone we really care for the most. Let’s not wait for that fateful day before we say it.
05. For me, John Cage is irresistible. I love his brilliant mind. His quirks make me laugh and it sets him apart from the rest. I love how Barry White influences him to be at his best. Remember those episodes where they would dance? Oh that’s just hilarious and very memorable. I would smile every time his nose would whistle or he’s going to walk barefoot for the first draft of his closing. Probably I’m also drawn to quirky people like him.
06. The music of Ally McBeal. I am a sucker for lovely music and this series just got me smitten partly because of the songs they have for every episode. I appreciated Vonda’s renditions of the songs they used. Lovely! Lovely! Even Papa loved the music. The original songs are wonderful too! From Barry White to Barry Manilow, Gloria Gaynor, Josh Groban, the standards and classics – I’m going to get the albums they released for the whole series. I don’t care where I get them but I will 🙂
07. Back to Billy and Ally. Remember how he donned that “New Man In Town” look? It reminded me of how we all want to be new after something bad happens to us like a bad breakup or separation. I felt that way after the separation. It was tough starting again (complete with all the financial burdens it entailed to bring back with me to the family home) but it did make me feel good getting my very straight hair curled, losing some weight, having a bit of a social life back. Those little things actually made me feel that there’s a new me after the storm.
08. If there’s one fact reiterated in this series, it’s the fact that relationships with co-workers don’t work (well, at least most of the time they don’t). I have always believed that I shouldn’t do whatever in my own backyard (although I prefer to call the whatever as “sh*t” LOL!). I’m not closing my doors on the possibility that the next someone might be just a station away from me in my work place, but I would prefer someone away from the “limelight.”
09. I saw a different Lucy Liu in this series. She’s a good actress. I like her now.
10. I now know who Ellen De Generes’ partner is – Portia de Rossi – the gorgeous lady whose locks I so adore! Feisty and icy character – kinda hot if you’ll ask me.
11. Lawyers really have good taste in clothing. That’s just not true in the series but also here. I still have to meet a lawyer who doesn’t know how to dress to the nines.
12. I realized that everything and every one in the US can be sued. The practice of law in the state of Massachusetts is interesting and I’m learning a lot along the way. I’m sure the writers of the series were briefed and they researched a lot as to how everything’s done in the actual court houses. This series made me want to pursue law now more than ever. I just need to find the time.
13. Robert Downey, Jr.’s character reminded me of someone – that someone who got away because I also got away. Aside from Billy, Larry must have been truly the one for Ally if not for Downey’s drug addiction in real life. What they had was very special. Again, another cathartic moment for me.
After this, I will be getting my boxed set – not the bootleg one that I have right now. I know this is worth keeping for my collection.